ground play

ground play
May 2011 Silke's blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Silke's blog

Hi All,
Silke has been steadily improving. Yesterday I took Bear and Feather on a trail ride to Battle Ground  Lake, we had a great time the temperature was 70 degrees. Silke stayed home with Shorty and she didn't even call out as we went past her down the driveway. She is now very consistently coming up to me in the pasture instead of hiding behind the other horses. She is very curious and she allows me to groom her in the pasture with out "catching" her, in other words I am grooming her "at liberty." She has become a nice asset to my herd environment. While we were gone, she took care of Shorty and he took care of her. They really get along wonderfully.
Now I must talk to you about what has been happening in the pasture. Normally Bear and Shorty "play" every afternoon while Silke and Feather eat and watch and then tell them to stop. Now, all 4 horses are at play every afternoon. it is a wonderful sight to see, I am so lucky to be able to watch the herd dynamics from my windows of my house, without disturbing their play. when I go out to video or take pictures, they stop and come to me to see what I am doing. they are like children on a play date. Or...maybe they are posing for a picture? I challenge you all to watch your horses and just hang out with them and groom them in the pasture.
Silke and I are playing on a regular basis in the barn too, it is very rewarding and we are making great progress, I have slowed down the riding. (I still put a saddle on and I also sit on her and climb on her bareback) I am focusing on the small details of what makes her respond to me and what makes her not respond to me. she really does not spook at things and she is very focused on me
when we are together, even if other horses are present.
She is very confident, she is learning to stand still for friendly pressure She is allowing and accepting the rope over her neck withers and back and even around her legs.  She is learning to move away when asked gently, she is learning very fast and she retains it all. She is not as "heavy" as my other iceys were at the beginning. She is very light, but not out of fear, she is just responsive. I am very pleased with the results.
Thank you for listening,
Cheryl and Silke's herd etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment