ground play

ground play
May 2011 Silke's blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Silke's Progress Springtime!

Hi All,
Silke and I are really getting to know each other, she is very confident but her level of trust still needs help, I am sure that will be a very long process. Yesterday my worker decided he would "help" me by trying to Catch her and turn her out, when I wasn't there yet, well needless to say she didn't let him and I am sure he ended on less than a positive note, with the release being when he gave up, but he thought he would surprise me by helping. I am sure he got the message from Silke, not to touch her. He said she didn't like him.
 It is amazing how many people want to "help' me either by telling me what I did wrong, or telling me I should use different methods, most of them haven't even seen my horse, let alone work with her. I believe that every horse is different, and what works for one isn't always the best for all. For example, each of my 3 Iceys have a different way of learning and of responding. I believe all methods work. I just have to use what works for me and for my horse, after all I am the one who is her owner. I hope this helps some of you who are struggling with lots of well meaning advice from friends, just do what works for you, or go get help from your favorite trainer. I am sure I won't be Silke's only trainer, she will need more than I can give her. I will always be learning, I am a sponge for knowledge. I believe that if a trainer stops learning they should also stop training. Until I become a horse, I will still need to learn more.
Thanks for listening,
Cheryl & Silke

No comments:

Post a Comment