Hi,
Today (after several days of me being sick) I went to Silke's stall and she came to me immediately and put her head down as if to say "let's go" so I took her into the oval pen and turned her loose and she followed me all around the pen. keep in mind Silke's Stall and run in area is right next to Bear, Shorty and Feather's pasture and they are all nose to nose across the fence inside the barn and outside in the run. So she chose to leave and go with me without hesitation, that was such a great feeling. By the way the sun is shining! it is a beautiful day.
I am so tempted to get greedy here and spend the whole time today with her doing things for me, she is so willing...But something inside is telling me that today is the day to put her out with her new friends. So I walk her over to the field and open the fence and she is pulling back just a bit before, as she goes into the field. I walk her around and the other horses come over to see her and greet her so I release her and she stays with me! The others are curious, but they keep their distance. She follows me to the front of the pasture and she keeps coming up to me and touching me as if to say thank you and she wanders a little away to eat grass. then she comes back over and over again to express her appreciation, so I give her a treat and leave the pasture.
She is with her herd and she decides to let them all know one by one that she is their new, young herd leader, they come to her over and over just to be sure and one by one she says to stay away. I keep checking in with her so I can be sure to catch her later, each time she comes to me willingly and I reward her with a scratch on the forehead or behind the ears etc. and sometimes a treat. but then I leave. I teach a small group of my boarders on Mondays starting at noon, we call it horse school and today we got to scratch off some groundwork tasks, so I had to leave Silke with the herd for a couple of hours and trust them to get along without me. and I had to trust my belief that I would be able to catch her when I got done with my students.
Well I went to the pasture and called out to her and by the time I came through the gate, she was running to me and she put her head down to be caught! what a great feeling! I know that today is just one day and that tomorrow may be different, but I am going to enjoy it while I can. Thank you, Silke.
Thank you all for listening,
Cheryl & Silke
Today (after several days of me being sick) I went to Silke's stall and she came to me immediately and put her head down as if to say "let's go" so I took her into the oval pen and turned her loose and she followed me all around the pen. keep in mind Silke's Stall and run in area is right next to Bear, Shorty and Feather's pasture and they are all nose to nose across the fence inside the barn and outside in the run. So she chose to leave and go with me without hesitation, that was such a great feeling. By the way the sun is shining! it is a beautiful day.
I am so tempted to get greedy here and spend the whole time today with her doing things for me, she is so willing...But something inside is telling me that today is the day to put her out with her new friends. So I walk her over to the field and open the fence and she is pulling back just a bit before, as she goes into the field. I walk her around and the other horses come over to see her and greet her so I release her and she stays with me! The others are curious, but they keep their distance. She follows me to the front of the pasture and she keeps coming up to me and touching me as if to say thank you and she wanders a little away to eat grass. then she comes back over and over again to express her appreciation, so I give her a treat and leave the pasture.
She is with her herd and she decides to let them all know one by one that she is their new, young herd leader, they come to her over and over just to be sure and one by one she says to stay away. I keep checking in with her so I can be sure to catch her later, each time she comes to me willingly and I reward her with a scratch on the forehead or behind the ears etc. and sometimes a treat. but then I leave. I teach a small group of my boarders on Mondays starting at noon, we call it horse school and today we got to scratch off some groundwork tasks, so I had to leave Silke with the herd for a couple of hours and trust them to get along without me. and I had to trust my belief that I would be able to catch her when I got done with my students.
Well I went to the pasture and called out to her and by the time I came through the gate, she was running to me and she put her head down to be caught! what a great feeling! I know that today is just one day and that tomorrow may be different, but I am going to enjoy it while I can. Thank you, Silke.
Thank you all for listening,
Cheryl & Silke
No comments:
Post a Comment