She really loves being climbed all over, she loves the time we spend together, but she is torn between leaving my other Iceys and her nice big warm dry stall, to go and play with me.
Let me start from the beginning. she needs more rubbing all over with the halter and lead, it has improved tremendously we spent more time in her area today, instead of just leaving to go to the oval pen or the large Arena. she is the one who decided she wanted to leave to go with me. great idea ! we went through puddles and just meandered all over the property ! then we went to the large arena, there were lots of people and horses cantering etc. we went in and walked the perimeter, she was focused on me and what I was doing. The other horses were not a problem. I did some circles and flexing and asking for hind quarters and asking her to step over on the front end to the left and right. I jumped up and down on each side of her, I rubbed her all over , I picked up all four feet. I took her to the mounting bench and put my leg over her, her head dropped. she stood still. I went and got her bareback pad and put it on, she stood still we cinched it up in 4-5 cinchings. I took her into the small oval pen and brought her up to my mounting block. I asked my friend to come in, just in case. I stepped up onto her and she dropped her head, I laid on her neck and put my legs out straight to her butt, then I sat up and turned to lay on the other side and I slid down the other side to the ground. I walked behind her and got up on the block, again I got on and sat up, I have reins on my bosal to do lateral flexion, then I have my friend take the lead rope being careful not to pull, just to help if needed. I give her a small squeeze and she moves forward, I say whoa and back her up. she has a small resistance and then she steps back nicely. big release and pet all over. ask to the right and to the left, she is moving around nicely with her head down, unconcerned. she is doing everything I ask ! We had a very nice short ride at the walk
My friend gets on in the large arena with 5 other horses, I am leading her and asking when she asks, we do a disengagement of the hind quarters, we do it to the right and to the left. we thought that if she takes off then we needed that in place on the ground and in the saddle, it goes very well. she already knew how. We do lateral flexion to the right and left, she is getting soft and supple. we back up every time we stop, she is soft in the back up too and is now lowering her head to back up.
We are doing turns on the forehand towards the arena wall for a change of direction. we are moving around and waving our arms as we go, she spooked at first but she didn't really move, it was mostly in place, not bad ! I send Silke into a circle at the trot and we do a turn on the forehand and change directions and keep trotting she is loving it. we do several turns and stay at the trot, with lots of stop, back up and release.
The more time I spend with her, the better it gets. we are doing very light work, with huge breaks in between where she just stands tied or walks around with me while I do things around the property. we have backed through every gate, doorway or aisle way.
I am the only one of my horse boarders that own Iceys, Silke is inspiring all the other horse owners to work a little more with their horses this winter, we are having great fun.
Thanks for listening,
Cheryl & Silke
No comments:
Post a Comment