ground play

ground play
May 2011 Silke's blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1/2/2011

Silke's Progress January 2nd 2011. Today was so eventful, for those of you who have not been following my Silke's progress, I picked up Silke about a month ago and she was in a herd of Iceys for the 5 yrs of her life, with out being haltered or any real human contact, I started the process of working with her and she is progressing quite nicely.
Today she came clear across the oval pen to see me and she caught me, WOW !
That was a first, and the day just gets better. I always do groundwork to see if it's a riding day, it seemed like every thing we did she was so much more relaxed...I put my big western (gaited) saddle on her, she stood perfectly still for saddling and she didn't even flinch for the cinching up ! I did more groundwork with the saddle on, she even tolted. she actually cantered a little.
Today I am riding with a leather bosal and reins, she stood still for mounting and waited for me to ask her to move, I asked her to back up slowly she moved back without too much objection, she doesn't like backing as a rule. then we did lateral flexion to the right and to the left, she is getting much better. I asked her to move with a squeeze cluck and... she moved I released my legs and breathed out, she stopped and we went again, she just kept getting better and better. the ride lasted longer than usual, she had some minor objections to direction, but she seems to really like being ridden, today we ended on a very soft back up. this is a very good day, Derick you are right, born broke, but not broken. Thank you

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Cheryl and Silke! You are both on a great start and are willing to learn! I love the blog.

    Stan

    Stan Hirson

    ReplyDelete